Apply for Highway permits and services on-line. Fees are payable on-line or by mailing a check to the Highway Department. If you have questions regarding permits, please call (218) 824-1110 or email us.

2024 Highway Department Fee Schedule (PDF)

We are looking for your comments on our customer service, let us know at: HOW ARE WE DOING?

Driveway Access

Driveway access to a county road requires that a permit be obtained by the landowner prior to construction. The County Board has adopted a Driveway Access Policy (PDF), revised on April 23, 2019, which includes construction specifications (PDF).

Fees for driveway access permits are listed in the current Fee Schedule and include a partial refundable deposit when the driveway passes final inspection.   

Apply for a driveway permit on-line. View help (PDF) for instructions on how to apply for an entrance permit.

Moving a Building / Oversize Load

Movement of a building and loads in excess of 8.5 feet wide and/or 14 feet tall require that a permit be obtained prior to movement over county roads. A list of stipulations (PDF) for moving is attached to the permit form. Overweight permits are not available when seasonal weight restrictions are in place.

The current Fee Schedule lists the costs for Single and Annual Move permits.  Apply for a moving permit on-line.  View help (PDF) on how to file for an annual moving permit.  View help (PDF) on how to file for a single/one-time moving permit. 

If the move is over state highways, check with the Minnesota Department of Transportation for requirements.

See Minnesota State Statute: 169.80 Size, Weight, Load for more information regarding oversize loads.

Special Events on County Roads

Groups holding special events such as parades, walking/running/biking events, etc. on a county road are requested to complete a permit application to provide information regarding their event.  A map of the parade/event route, traffic control plans and a copy of the group's certificate of insurance are requested to assist with coordination for the safety of the participants and the traveling public through the event area. There is no charge for this permit. Apply for a Special Event permit online.  View help (PDF) for instructions on how to file for a special event permit. 

 A trailer with selected traffic control devices to alert the traveling public of an event is available for rental.  More information about the Special Event Trailer is listed below under Services.

Utility Installation

Installation of a utility within a county road right of way requires a permit be approved prior to digging.  Stipulations (PDF) for construction are attached to the permit.  Costs are listed in the current Fee Schedule.  Apply for a utility permit on-line. View help (PDF) for instructions on how to apply for a utility permit.


Special Event Sign Trailer

A trailer with select traffic control devices is available for rent from the Highway Department. Included are Event in Progress signs, Slow/Stop paddles, safety cones and vests. These items will help to make the traveling public aware that something out of the ordinary is happening along a public roadway. Sign trailer reservations for events not along a county road may be made online via the Special Event application.  Rental fee is listed in the current Fee Schedule.

sign trlr

Mailbox Supports

The County Board adopted a Mailbox Support Policy (PDF) on 09/22/09 and revised on 05/27/14. The policy includes a diagram (PDF) showing specifications for installation of the approved swing-a-way mailbox support.  

Residents living on a county road may purchase a mailbox support as listed in the current Fee Schedule plus applicable sales tax. The County installs mailbox supports on county-maintained roads only.  Order a mailbox support to be installed and pay on-line.   View help (PDF) for instructions for how to order a mailbox support online.  

Residents not living on a county road may purchase a mailbox support as listed in the current Fee Schedule plus applicable sales tax at the Highway Department. Stop by our office to pick one up.  The County does not install mailbox supports that are not on the County Road system ie: township roads, city streets or private roads.  Check with your local road authority if installation is available.   

One-Time Maintenance

Residents within the First Assessment (Unorganized Territory) may petition for one-time maintenance of roads platted for public use but not maintained by the County or State.  Basic non-routine maintenance will be provided by the County, acting on behalf of the unorganized township, as outlined in the policy (PDF) adopted by the County Board and revised on 11-22-16.  Submit a request for Maintenance Service on-line.  View help (PDF) for instructions how to request service.  View the list of roads available for maintenance service.  

Specific Service Signs

Specific Service Signs, those that direct travelers to a specific business, are ordered and installed along county roads by the Highway Department.  The county's policy and requirements regarding approval of Specific Service Signs is attached to the application. Cost of a Specific Service Sign is listed in the current Fee Schedule plus applicable sales tax.   View a list of eligible businesses before applying for a Specific Service Sign.  Apply for a Specific Service Sign on-line.  View help (PDF) for instructions how to apply or a specific service sign.   

E-911 address signs are issued and installed by the Land Services Department.