Recognition of Parentage

One way to establish paternity is for the mother and biological father to complete, sign and notarize a Recognition of Parentage form and file this form with the Minnesota Registrar of Vital Statistics. The Recognition of Parentage can be signed at the hospital at the time of the child's birth, or after the mother and child leave the hospital.

You can obtain this form from:

Please watch this video for more information.


There is no cost to file a Recognition of Parentage form.


Signing a Recognition of Parentage form does not have any parenting time (visitation) or custody rights until the court issues a court order granting these rights. It gives the non-custodial parent the right to go to the court and ask for parenting time.

Legal Assistance, resources and information