Registration of Ordination Certificate
MINNESOTA STATUTE 517.04 PERSONS AUTHORIZED TO PERFORM CIVIL MARRIAGES
Civil marriages may be solemnized throughout the state by an individual who has attained the age of 21 years and is a judge of a court of record, a retired judge of a court of record, a court administrator, a retired court administrator with the approval of the chief judge of the judicial district, a former court commissioner who is employed by the court system or is acting pursuant to an order of the chief judge of the commissioner's judicial district, the residential school superintendent of the Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf and the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind, a licensed or ordained minister of any religious denomination, an individual who registers as a civil marriage officiant with a local registrar in a county of this state, or by any mode recognized in section 517.18. For purposes of this section, a court of record includes the Office of Administrative Hearings under section 14.48.
MINNESOTA STATUTE 517.05 CREDENTIALS OF MINISTER.
Ministers of any religious denomination, before they are authorized to solemnize a civil marriage, shall file a copy of their credentials of license or ordination or, if their religious denomination does not issue credentials, authority from the minister's spiritual assembly, with the local registrar of a county in this state, who shall record the same and give a certificate of filing thereof. The place where the credentials are recorded shall be endorsed upon and recorded with each certificate of civil marriage granted by a minister.
Once registered, marriages may be performed anywhere in the state.
- Need a valid government issued photo ID
- Sign Certificate of Filing when present at Crow Wing County Land Services
- If applicable, present credentials of license or ordination or letter of good standing (M.S. 517.05)
- $10 Filing Fee – Check is made payable to Crow Wing County Land Services
- Complete Certificate of Filing (PDF) – Signature will need to be notarized.
- If applicable, include credentials of license or ordination or letter of good standing. Photocopies are acceptable. (M.S. 517.05)
- Submitted credential documents will be returned by mail with the Certificate of Filing, to the address on the Certificate of Filing.
- $10 Filing Fee – Check made payable to Crow Wing County Land Services.
- Mail to:
Crow Wing County Land Services
322 Laurel Street, Suite 15
Brainerd, MN 56401
- Mail to: