Mail for inmates will only be accepted through the U.S. Postal Service and must be addressed as follows:
Crow Wing County Jail
Inmate's Full Name
313 Laurel Street
Brainerd, MN 56401
Regulations & Requirements
- All incoming and outgoing inmate mail is searched except for legal mail.
- Incoming legal mail will be opened and inspected in front of the receiving inmate but will not be read or censored.
- Outgoing legal mail will not be searched.
- All incoming mail must have a valid and complete return address.
- Money mailed to inmates should be either a money order or cashier's check made payable to "inmate's name." Personal checks are not accepted.
The following types of mail are not allowed within the jail and will be placed in the inmate's personal property and given to them when they are released.
- Mail that is scented
- Mail that contains any colored or picture drawings
- Mail that contains any copies of games (crosswords, sudoku, etc.) or coloring pages
- Mail that contains blank pages, envelopes and/or postage stamps
- Mail including stickers, glitter and/or markings on the envelope
- Greeting cards that contain glitter, ribbons, strings, decorations, springs or metal parts, musical cards and/or anything that could be removed from the card.
- Mail containing personal information like insurance cards, driver's license, ATM cards and PINs.
- Mail containing inappropriate or pornographic pictures
- Mail containing newspaper clippings, contraband items or Polaroid pictures
Books must be softcover and sent directly to the inmate from a publisher/supplier/bookstore. All books received are subject to donation to the inmate library. However, if an inmate does not want to donate the book, it will be placed in their personal property until they are released.
Magazines are allowed only if the subscription is in the inmate's name, mailed directly to the inmate from the publisher and is on the Approved Magazine List (PDF).
Newspapers are allowed only if the subscription is in the inmate's name and mailed directly to the inmate from the publisher.