Child Care Assistance Program

Child Care Assistance Programs (CCAP) provides financial assistance to help make quality childcare affordable for income-eligible families so you can work, look for work or attend school. Families may have a co-payment based on their gross income and family size. CCAP may not cover all child care costs.

MFIP Child Care

MFIP Child Care is available to families who participate in the Minnesota Family Investment Program.

Transition Year Child Care

Transition Year Child Care provides child care to families whose MFIP case has closed within the last 12 months.

Basic Sliding Fee Child Care

Basic Sliding Fee Child Care is for low-income families who do not qualify for MFIP Child Care or Transition Year Child Care.

To qualify, your family must

  • Be income eligible: In addition to other eligibility requirements, your income must be below the following guidelines to qualify.  Note: there are some allowable income deductions. Household includes parents and children. (Income guidelines effective October 4, 2021)
Household SizeAnnual Gross Income (before taxes and unallowable deductions)

Receiving MFIP or DWPAll other Child care Program Applicants

  • Meet employment and training requirements:
    • Work at least an average of 20 hours per week (10 hours per week if a full-time student) for at least minimum wage, or
    • Participate in job search, attend school or training classes, or comply with the activities of an approved Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) / Diversionary Work Program (DWP) employment plan. 
    • Cooperate with child support enforcement for all children in the family who have an absent parent. 

Required Verifications Needed

Complete the application and provide the following documentation:

  • Proof of identity of all adult household members, such as a copy of driver's license.
  • Proof of your residence, such as a current lease or mortgage document, or most recent utility bill.
  • Proof of age and relationship to you for each child in your family, such as copy of birth certificate for each child in the household.
  • Proof of work schedule for each parent in the home (if varies, provide schedule for 4 weeks).
  • Schedule of classes for any adult attending school.
  • Proof of citizenship or immigration status for each child in your family who needs childcare.
  • School schedule for children attending head start or other preschool programs. Schedule should include times and days the child attends.
  • Proof of all earned and unearned household income for the past 30 days.
  • Proof of any health insurance premium you pay.
  • Proof of allowable deductions you pay, such as spousal support or child support for any child that does not live with you.


  • You can apply online at
  • Come into our agency located at 204 Laurel St. Brainerd, MN 56401 to pick up an application. Our agency is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Call our agency at 218-824-1250 to request a paper application be mailed to you.
  • Print an application and complete it by hand or complete it electronically and submit to our agency by one of the following methods:

In person at 204 Laurel St. Brainerd, MN 56401

Mail to P.O. Box 686 Brainerd, MN 56401

Fax to 218-824-1141

Email to

Put in our drop box located outside our agency

Minnesota Child Care Assistance Program Application DHS-3550

No interview is required. If you have questions, please call Crow Wing County Community Services at 218-824-1250 and ask for a Child Care Assistance worker.

Do you need help paying for Child Care? DHS-3551

Crow Wing County Child Care Fund Plan

2024-2025 Crow Wing County and Tribal Child Care Plan