Cash Programs

Diversionary Work Program (DWP)

DWP is a four-month program that helps Minnesota parents find jobs. The goal is to help parents quickly find work so that they do not need to go on the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP). When families first apply for cash assistance, most will be enrolled in this program.

General Assistance (GA)

GA helps Minnesotans with little or no income meet their basic needs. It offers a small monthly cash grant to people with serious illnesses, disabilities, or other circumstances that limit their ability to work. GA is "interim aid" to help while other sources of income are put in place.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)

 MFIP helps families with children meet their basic needs while helping parents move to financial stability through work. Parents are expected to work, and are supported in working with both cash and food assistance. Most families have a lifetime limit of 60 months on MFIP.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)

MSA provides monthly cash support to help meet basic living expenses. This program is mainly for persons who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Housing Support (Formerly known as Group Residential Housing) 

State funded program that pays for room and board for seniors and adults with disabilities who have low income. This program aims to reduce and prevent people from living in institutions or becoming homeless.


  • You can apply online at
  • Come into our agency located at 204 Laurel St. Brainerd, MN 56401 to pick up an application. Our agency is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Call our agency at 218-824-1250 to request a paper application be mailed to you.
  • Print an application and complete it by hand or complete it electronically and submit to our agency by one of the following methods:

In person at 204 Laurel St. Brainerd, MN 56401

Mail to P.O. Box 686 Brainerd, MN 56401

Fax to 218-824-1141

Email to

Put in our drop box located outside our agency

Combined Application Form DHS-5223