Housing Support

Housing Support (formerly known as Group Residential Housing) is a State funded program that pays for room and board for seniors and adults with disabilities who have low income. This program aims to reduce and prevent people from living in institutions or becoming homeless.


Your housing provider receives payments to pay your rent, utilities, food and household supplies. As of 7/1/2021, the maximum Housing Support payment is $954. This amount changes on July 1st every year. Depending on your income, you may have to pay a portion of the Housing Support housing rate directly to your housing provider.


  • Reside in or intend to move into the Housing Support setting
  • Complete and submit a Combined Application Form
  • Provide a copy of a photo ID
  • Provide proof of all earned and unearned income
  • Provide proof of all assets (Note: Asset limit is $10,000)
  • Work with a county social worker or other caseworker to provide verification of a disabling condition that limits self-sufficiency. For example, it may be a physical, mental health disability, visual impairment or substance abuse.
  • If not already receiving Social Security benefits, the consumer has 30 days from the date of placement to apply for Supplemental Security income and must complete the application process.
  • Complete a phone or in person interview with a county financial worker

Changes should be reported within 10 days. Some examples are:

  • Changes in income: job start/job end, approved for Social Security
  • Discharges from housing setting
  • Change in guardianship, if known

Housing Support (mn.gov)


  • You can apply online at mnbenefits.mn.gov.
  • Come into our agency located at 204 Laurel St. Brainerd, MN 56401 to pick up an application. Our agency is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Call our agency at 218-824-1250 to request a paper application be mailed to you.
  • Print an application and complete it by hand or complete it electronically and submit to our agency by one of the following methods:

In person at 204 Laurel St. Brainerd, MN 56401

Mail to P.O. Box 686 Brainerd, MN 56401

Fax to 218-824-1141

Email to cwcss@crowwing.us

Put in our drop box located outside our agency

Combined Application Form DHS - 5223

** Each case and client is different. This is just basic information. Verifications required vary on a case by case basis. Please check with your local County Financial Worker for case specific information.